Bidston Golf Club, founded in 1913, was an amalgamation of Golfing Societies who had previously been playing on the Wallasey Corporation Municipal Course, The Warren. A lease was secured and a nine hole course was created on the site of the present eigth to eighteenth holes. Further ground was leased in 1925 between the railway and the River Fender to provide an eighteen hole Golf Course.
In the late sixties some twenty acres of land was lost to the M53 Motor way necessitating the creation of new holes on the ground that remained. The new holes being the present 2nd, 9th, 17th and 18th, which inevitably took away some of the character of the course, particularly the splendid 535 yard finish.
During the seventies and eighties the club resisted suggestions from the owners of the land that it should move and the ground be developed for other purposes. Finally, under the Wirral Unitary Development Plan, the M53 corridor, which includes Bidston Golf Club, was declared permanent Green belt Land. The Club was then able in the late nineties to purchase the freehold of the Course, thereby guaranteeing the future of the Club.
For many years access to the Course was from Bidston Railway Station until the building of the Leasowe housing estate allowed access from Scoresby Road to the clubhouse. Some forty years later as a result of negotiations with British rail, the Club forfeited its right of way across the railway line and in return an entrance to the Club from the Bidston Link Road was provided making the Golf Course more easily accessible to its members.
A major redevelopment and refurbishment of our changing accommodation and Pro Shop took place in 2003 and further refurbishment of the clubhouse is hoped to follow soon.
Sorry, this club has not added their Greefee information.
Sorry, this club has not added their Membership prices.