At the turn of the century, the game of golf had come very much into vogue, chiefly among the leisured and professional classes. The absence of links in Scarborough was to the disadvantage of the town, the well know links of the Scarborough Club at Ganton being inconveniently situated for many owing to its distance.
Hence a movement was set afoot, it's object, the provision of golf links and tennis courts on South Cliff. The proposal at first was that the Corporation should carry the scheme as a municipal one; there were difficulties however in the way of this. Consequently the movement became one of semi private character, a Limited Liability Company.
The Scarborough Town Golf and Lawn Tennis Company Limited being formed with a capital of £1,500 in £1.00 shares to carry out the scheme. Subsequently the following notice appeared in the Scarborough Evening News on the 4th November 1902:
The greatest charm of the course is the glorious situation of the holes on the cliff, looking down on the South Bay and Scarborough Town on the one side and along the bold and rugged coastline towards Filey on the other. But the two parts of the course make a pleasant and piquant contrast and both provide some excellent golf.
The turf, even on the cliffs, is of the down-land rather than the seaside type and provides excellent lies for the fairway wood slots.
A great attraction to visitors is the inspiring view of the shore and sea. There is an exhilarating freshness of the breeze that is never wholly absent on the calmest of days and which at other times can add a new hazard to the testing quality of the course.
Sorry, this club has not added their Greefee information.
Sorry, this club has not added their Membership prices.