In 2004 a number of member of Prestwich Golf Club agreed to form the “Centenary Committee” (CC) as a way of preparing for 100th anniversary of the club’s history in 2008.
Members of the CC are currently engaged in gathering historical information from the elder members of the club and from historical records. We know for example that the golf club developed from what was originally a Gymkhana Club and that golf was played on these “fields” for a number of years before the golf club was registered at St Andrews in March 1908. The club professional had a dual role looking after both golf and gymkhana activities.
THE ORIGINAL CLUBHOUSE
The original clubhouse was an elegant late Georgian building erected in 1818 and throughout the 19th Century was in continuous use as a family home. During this time, a large addition to one end of the building was constructed.
When acquired as a Clubhouse it must have been a very attractive environment. High moulded ceilings, an elegant marble staircase and several beautiful fireplaces. Sadly during its first 50 years as the Clubhouse for Prestwich Golf Course it began to fall into disrepair due, in no small part, to the First and Second World Wars. Ten years of war and a depleted membership contributed to the gradual deterioration.
Some efforts to modify and improve facilities were made in the 1960’s and 1970’s, but it was decided in the late 1980’s, after many years of discussion (and argument), to consider the building of a new Clubhouse.
Sorry, this club has not added their Greefee information.
Sorry, this club has not added their Membership prices.