There are a few theories as to how Perivale was so named. The most likely is that it is derived from Greneforde Parva (a locality mentioned in the Domesday Book, where it is described as an apple orchard.
The word "parva" is latin for small or little as in "parva componere magnis" meaning To compare small things with great ones.
An alternative, theory is that is derived from the word pear or perry which Websters dictionary defines as "a fermented and often effervescent beverage made from juice of pears; similar in taste to hard cider"
It is known that 2500 years ago Iron Age people settled on what today is called Horsenden Hill as large amounts of pottery have been discovered. In fact, In 1978 The Iron Age settlement on Horsenden Hill was declared as an Ancient Scheduled monument by English Heritage.
It was probably during Saxon times that the hill acquired its name originally "Horsingdon" - the last syllable don meaning hill fortress.
Following the Norman Conquest in 1066, Geoffrey de Mandeville was rewarded for his services to William the Conqueror with land including Greenforde Parva.
The Church of St. Mary the Virgin was built in 1135 although the structure (now the Nave of the current Church) was a simple barnlike structure. The Chancel was added in 1250.
During the Reformation in the reign of King Henry VIII many churches were striped of valuable plate. During this period brasses in the Church of St Mary the Virgin disappeared. However, one set of brasses survived set in the floor near the altar rail. These brasses depict the Mylett family Henry Mylett, his first wife Alice and his second wife Joan together with their combined 15 children. Today the nearby pub is called "The Mylett Arms".
It was during the reigh of Henry VIII that the locality's name changed from Greenforde Parva to Perivale.
The first section of the Grand Junction Canal in this area (later the Grand Union Canal) was opened in 1794. The 1 3 mile stretch from Bull’s Bridge to Paddington was started in 1797, completed in 1801 and provided a fast route into the capital for Perivale's main produce hay.
In 1821, the population census showed that there were only 25 inhabitants in Perivale and this had only grown to 32 in the 1851 census. Indeed Kelly's Directory in records the population as 31 with 4 inhabitated houses for the year 1881.
Such was the charm of the countryside that by the end of the 19th century more and more Londoners were discovering the area. The Great Western Railway opened a small halt at Perivale on the Paddington to High Wycombe line and this was later developed to a conventional station in 1908.
The 20th Century was to see dramatic changes to the area.
In the 1926 the parish of Perivale (also Greenford and West Twyford) were brought within the London Borough of Ealing.
Following the First World War Horsenden Farm was acquired by the Sudbury Golf Club thus signalling the end to farming being the predominant activity. In 1929, Sandersons Wallpaper had built a factory on the farmland alongside Horsenden Lane and houses were built. On the opposite side of Horsenden Lane, a housing estate and small factory were built.
One of the most significant development to affect the area was the building of a highway westwards out of London - The Western Avenue (now A40 dual carriageway). Alongside this highway new factories were being built typically in Art Deco style.
Church Farm was bought by Hoovers the manufacturer of vacuum cleaners and in 1931 - 1935 the world famous Hoover Building (now Grade I listed) was constructed. It was also at this time that Manor Farm disappeared to become a factory estate. The new Bilton Road was built from Horsenden Lane South through to Manor Farm Road surrounded by residential housing - typically 1930's semi-detached and terraced houses.
Sorry, this club has not added their Greefee information.
Sorry, this club has not added their Membership prices.