The parkland type course of just under 5,000 yards in length is in a location close to the centre of Edinburgh. It was designed originally by Ben Sayers and altered in 1936 by James Braid.
This traditional course is set on two hills and meanders along the valley in between. The course features many interesting holes and has splendid views of Edinburgh, East Lothian, West Lothian and Fife.
Many players appreciate the fact that the rough is generally not very punishing and there are also very few bunkers on the course.
The first two holes are on the North side of Glenlockhart Road and care must be taken when crossing it to reach the third tee. After playing holes three to seven, golfers recross Glenlockhart Road to play the remaining holes.
The signature hole is the 13th ("Tap o' the World") which is played from a tee on top of Easter Craiglockhart Hill to a green in the valley below - once played, never forgotten!