About the Club
The move to form the Comberton Club was a bold one as there was already an old established club in Kidderminster on Aggborough Links. It was the original intention to lay out a nine hole course at Dunclent Farm two miles from the town, where arrangements had been made with the tenant farmer but difficulties arose with the Landlord and this scheme had to be abandoned. Then the Committee found a more suitable site at Gorst Hall where they were able to obtain a lease for a nine hole course. Formal permission was given on the 13th October 1909 and the course opened on the 23rd October 1909 a somewhat remarkable achievement.
The course was planned by G.V.Tuck, the Midland Professional and A. Compston was engaged as the Club Professional.
The first AGM was held on 8th October 1910 and the balance sheets show that the receipts amounted to £156 11s 3d and the expenditure £152 12s 0d which included £30 on account for the erection of a pavilion.
1913 saw another four holes brought into play and further land was seeded ready to make the full eighteen holes.
Up until 1913 there was no play allowed on a Sunday because of an agreement with the Landlord.
During the Second World War part of the course had been scheduled to be ploughed up to grow extra food but for some reason this was never put in hand.
In 1919 Aggborough Golf Club land was required for building operations and that club was closed, which helped to increase the growth of Comberton Club. A new pavilion was built on the present site of the clubhouse and membership increased rapidly to 224. At the AGM on 30th April 1921 the name was changed to Kidderminster Golf Club.
Signposted Off A449 Wolverhampton Worcester Road in Kidderminster