The traditions of the Society date back to 1761 when the members played over Bruntsfield Links in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle.
However by the mid 19th century conditions at Bruntsfield were becoming quite congested and members started playing more golf at Musselburgh where the Summer meeting had been held since 1839.
A purpose built clubhouse was erected in 1886 in a row which contained the clubhouses of the Honourable Company, Royal Musselburgh and the Burgess. Inevitably with four clubs sharing 9 holes, coupled with threatened incursions from the race course, there were problems.
In 1898 the Society moved to the present location, which must be one of the most attractive settings for any golf course in a major city, with spectacular views over the Firth of Forth.
Willie Park Jnr, the founder of golf course architecture, was commissioned to lay out the course. Since then reconstruction work has been carried out by Dr Alistair MacKenzie in 1922-23 and most recently in 1972-74 by Hawtree.
Bruntsfield has hosted the British Seniors, the British Boys (three times), the Scottish Youths and Mid Amateur Championships.
The subtle borrows on the greens have ensured that even the best golfers do not rip the course apart. The course record stands at 66.
Sorry, this club has not added their Greefee information.
Sorry, this club has not added their Membership prices.