Ballybofey golf club was formally founded on January 22nd 1957, under it’s first president Mr Willie Raitt and Mr John Joe Kennedy as founder Captain. Initially the course was nine hole and was opened for play in June 1958. In the absence of a clubhouse the first presentations were made from the back of a tractor! An old wooden and corrugated iron clubhouse was soon bought and proved to be a great success in the formative years of the club with many a lively night and local story told- a friendly, hospitable atmosphere that still thrives today.
A nine hole layout was never going to be enough for such a hard working committee though and, greatly helped by a very successful run of Friday night bingo in the Butt Hall, the club finally purchased the land for a second nine holes which were opened for play in 1978. The following years brought about vast improvements in all aspects of the club with the purchase of essential machinery and employment of experienced workers.
The club owes a great deal to the various green convenors and green keepers over the years. The course is now one of the best parkland courses in the country and is considered a very enjoyable place to play.
The club continued to grow and in 1994 it was decided by the members to build a new clubhouse to give more space and give a first floor view over parts of the course. The work was carried out by local architects, Paddy and Tony Carr, and building contractors, Seamus Quinn construction. The impressive clubhouse was officially opened in 1996 by Mr Eamonn Curran, GUI president.
Over the years the club has been successful in various competitions throughout Ireland. The club has also produced its fair share of fine golfers both male and female over the years notably Mr Enda Mc Menamin and Ms Darragh Mc Gowan. The club also operates a thriving youth development programme and our young golfers are now representing the club very well in the Fred Daly and other competitions. It should be noted that arising from the youth development at the club we now have provided two fully qualified professional golfers in Mr Eamon O’ Flanagan and Ms Joanne O’ Hare.
Over the years there have been some very fine scorecards. The 18 hole record of 63 has been set by Mr Enda mc Menamin and has been equalled in recent times by Mr Derek mc Neill. The ladies course record is held by Ms Darragh Mc Gowan who set a record of 66 in the Captains prize competition of 2006.
Sorry, this club has not added their Greefee information.
Sorry, this club has not added their Membership prices.