Established in 1860 in San Francisco and dedicated to the pursuit of amateur athletic excellence, The Olympic Club enjoys the distinction of being America's oldest athletic club.
By 1922, the Club had acquired enough acreage to replace the original golf course with two 18-hole golf courses. Willie Watson and course superintendent Sam Whiting designed the first Lake and Ocean courses in 1924. Unfortunately, storm damage led Sam Whiting to redesign both courses again in 1927.
The Lake Course remains true to the 1927 design with minimal renovations in the intervening years. Prior to the 1955 U.S. Open, the Club brought the USGA’s official course architect, Robert Trent Jones, Sr., to toughen the Lake Course for competition.
Most recently, the Club completed the Lake Course Greens Replacement project. Conversion from poa annua to bent-grass greens was the primary objective of the project, but the crew also rebuilt and renovated greens.
The new 8th hole, the first routing change to the course since 1927, was sculpted into the surrounding hillside with views of the clubhouse. It will play as a 200-yard par 3. Additional alterations have been made for the 2012 U.S. Open Championship.
Located in San Francisco off Interstate 280, exit John Daly Boulevard/Westlake District, near Lake Merced. The entrance is on Skyline Boulevard overlooking the Pacific Ocean.