Formed in 1891 and commemorated in George Houghton's remarkable book "The First Hundred Years", our golf club is the oldest in Dorset.
Originally on the West Cliff at West Bay, the Club moved to a new location on the East Cliff in 1911. The Clubhouse was then set into the cliff, some halfway up, leaving an energetic walk to the first tee!
In later years a single track road zigzagged its way to the top much to the relief of the members. Permission was then granted for members to change their shoes in the car park!
The Clubhouse shown opposite was destroyed by fire in 1969 and was replaced by a temporary building that was to last some 32 years!
For a period of time the course had only 10 holes, 8 of these being played twice to make the 18 hole course. However through prudent land acquisition over many years culminating in a further 44 acres in 1989 the course was redesigned to provide a longer, more challenging, but fair test of golf.
In addition, a fun 9 hole pitch and putt course and putting green were opened for the use of novice golfers and holidaymakers.
From the A35, leave at the Crown Hotel roundabout on the B3157 to
Burton Bradstock and Weymouth.
After approximately 1 mile the golf club entrance will be on the right hand side.