Welcome to Brancepeth Castle Golf Club. We are situated in the historic village of Brancepeth, four miles south-west of the Cathedral City of Durham on the A690 to Crook. We have been host to some of the most prestigious competitions in recent years including the English Golf Union and the Mens and Ladies Champions Club Tournament.
The course was designed by Harry Colt and presently measures 6400 yards and its par and SSS of 70 prove a sound test to many of the countries leading amateurs who meet annually to compete in the Club's open amateur 36-hole stroke play Championship for the Leonard Crawley Medal.
Always a regular venue for Durham County Championship and inter-county matches, Brancepeth in 1975, hosted the English County Championship Final, in 1980 the Ladies British Open Amateur Stroke Play Championship and in 1982 the English Ladies Amateur Championship. During 1988 the course hosted the inaugural English Boys Open Amateur Stroke Play Championship for the Carris Trophy and hosted the Scotland v England Under 16 International in the year 2000.
The course was run as a private concern until 1929 when an agreement was made to lease the golf course and premises at a modest rent. In the 1930's the Club prospered and had around 400 members including Leonard Crawley (English Close Champion 1931) and many more prominent Durham County Golfers. It has been and still is the venue for many county and inter-county events.
After the 1939-45 war Lord Boyne's executors sold Brancepeth estates to the Duke of Westminster and after the death of the latter in 1953 the estate was again sold to help pay heavy death duties. At that time the lease on the golf course came to an end and the future of the Club was uncertain.
In 1961, Club members subscribed almost £14,500, enough to buy the course and the Club House. Since that date the policy has been to stay as close to the Colt design and layout as possible and the course, generally speaking, has changed very little. The Club now has a full membership and is in a sound financial position. The future is assured and efforts continue to be made to improve the condition of the course and the Club House amenities.
The Club House is built from natural stone hewn at Littleburn Quarry some two miles away and is entered by passing through an archway and crossing the original cobblestone courtyard with its stone centrepiece, originally used as a watering trough for horses.
Leaving the Club House and walking down the path towards the first tee provides a first glimpse of the Castle and St. Brandon's Church. Going through the gate and on to the first tee gives an immediate impression of the character of the course and its magnificent deciduous trees. The silver birch trees on the right between the 1st fairway and 18th green were planted to mark the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Originally there were 25 trees, one for each year of her reign.
Sorry, this club has not added their Greefee information.
Sorry, this club has not added their Membership prices.