Phoenix Golf Club was officially established on 1st January 1932 by the workers of local steelmaking firm, Steel Peech & Tozer although hearsay has it that golfers played golf on a few holes some time prior to this. The membership at this time comprised of just 22 founder members. It is recorded that four gentlemen went to management of Steel Peech & Tozer and asked if they could be given permission to develop an area of scrubland and former arable land into a golf course. With no funds available the management allowed this subject to agreement that all work was done in the gentlemen’s own time and at their own expense. They and their fellow members developed the golf course in a piecemeal style firstly to a nine hole course initially designed by Mr Tom Williamson and then in 1935 to fourteen holes. Much of the development work being done with simple handtools. The rest as they say is history.
The present day members of Phoenix Golf Club owe these four gentlemen and their fellow members an enormous debt of gratitude.
The first official game was played over the new nine holes in the winter of 1932 by Bert Douglas, Seth Hampshire, Morley Gladwin and Norrie Bacon, accompanied by fellows, Reg Brunyee, George Fox, George Copley and Mr Seaman the Groundsman. In 1949 Golf Course architect Mr C K Cotton drew up plans for an 18 hole layout and after securing land to the North of Bawtry Road the new 18 hole golf course was officially opened in 1952.
The club house in those times was a simple wooden construction which is a far cry from the substantial buildings that now constitute the Brinsworth Pavilion with its various function rooms and conference facilities.
This is an old photograph of Brinsworth Pavilion from the early 1950's, shortly after being extended and renovated.
It has now evolved into an easy walking undulating meadowland course that measures 6181 yards in length from the medal tees with a Par of 71 and a Standard Scratch Score (SSS) of 70. The current amateur course record of 65 was established by Matthew Daughtry on 31st August 2002. The course has been built up by the membership over many years to be a golf course to be extremely proud of.
Other Phoenix Facilities
The Golf Club has been developed alongside a sports complex that provides an eclectic mix of sports including cricket, football, squash, badminton, hockey, bowls and snooker.
You can also visit our PGA qualified Professional staff Michael Roberts and Julie Chandler to book lessons or purchase golf equipment and clothing.
If you visit Phoenix Golf Club you will be sure to receive a very warm welcome, have an enjoyable day and be subjected to a good test of golf.
Anyone wishing to enquire about booking a visiting party, membership availability or levels of subscriptions should contact the Honorary Secretary.
2 Miles south of Rotherham Town centre towards Brinsworth 1 miles east of M1 Junction 34 towards Brinsworth