On December 1st, 1891 a circular appeared in the "PAINSWICK ANNUAL REGISTER" which invited ladies and gentlemen to join the "Painswick Golf Club". This, it seems, is the first mention of the Club to appear in print. The Club had actually been formed on October 8th, 1891. The first President of the new Club was T. Dyer Edwardes, Esq., and the first Secretary was E. H. Percival, Esq. A prospectus was available which stated that ". . . a good sporting Golf course had been laid out on Painswick Common".
The course had been laid out in 1891 by David Brown of the Malvern Club. (Given the course he planned, it can be assumed that Mr. Brown had no connection with a certain firm of tractor manufacturers!). He had in fact been Open Champion in 1868 and his course was of 9 holes played in the opposite direction to the present plan. The present 9th was probably the original 1st and the last hole was near the "Royal William" which served as a clubhouse until 1915. The early committee meetings were held at Kimsbury House, the home of Sir John Percival, which can be seen from the 6th tee towards Upon St. Leonards.